Friday, January 17, 2014

Bible box

Here are a couple pictures of a bible box I made as a gift. I had some scrap lying around and wanted to try a little carving like Peter Follansbee.



I don't know how he'll feel about the mahogany, dovetails, the carving being inset, the bead, the stamp being filed onto an allen wrench, the shellac, etc. I thought about his work the entire time and I did nail the bottom on (They weren't cut nails.)

I had a little more scrap so I made one that is quite different. This one only had the single carved face.


5 comments:

  1. Well done, Matt! I'm sure Peter won't mind the transgressions.

    Also, glad to see we're not the only ones with our tree still up...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, I want to try that sometime myself

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very lovely. I think you've done a nice job on balancing the design, and I like the acanthus-like last carving very much.

    ReplyDelete