Sunday, January 6, 2013

Homeschooling 101: A Day at the Sawmill

While children were getting on the bus to return to school and adults were heading back to the office on Wednesday, Sheldon and I headed up to Stow, MA to mill a log my friend had been eyeing on his property. Fortunately, he also has a woodmizer, a metal detector and a willingness to spin a single log a few dozen times to quartersaw wood by my definition, which isn't quite as stringent as Sheldon's.

Here is a picture that is representative of the quality of milling for every single piece that made it into the back of the truck.


And for the record, the entire log made it into the back of the truck. 10.5' long, 32" at the widest end and 26" at the other.

The wood is standing on end for the next few days while I pick out a color for the latex paint. Then the wait begins.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Matt,
    Looks like nice beech. You may want to be careful about the legality of transporting non-kiln dried wood across state lines. Some laws exist to slow the spread of non-native invasive insects.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt,

    You're not already decided on pink latex paint?

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you actually homeschool your kids, as the title implies?

    I'm jealous of Sheldon: I would love to be a part of milling lumber like this.

    If it is beech, will this be made into moulding planes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. MWH,

    My wife and I homeschool our children, yes.

    This is a beech log and it will eventually be used for moulding planes if all goes according to plan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Picking a color of paint for end sealer is a topic that no one ever discusses. It is a big decision since you will be living with this wood for several years as it dries. I sense your next article for Popular Woodworking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am with Chris on this - Pink latex for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great information on Sawmill and woodworking! Your blog feature much of the same content that I have come to expect here.

    Portable Sawmill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too bad all that pith will have to go to waste. Never seems to dry right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice information on here, I would like to share with you all my experience trying to get a loan to expand my Clothing Business here in Malaysia. It was really hard on my business going down due to my little short time illness then when I got heal I needed a fund to set it up again for me to begin so I came across Mr Benjamin a loan consultant officer at Le_Meridian Funding Service He asked me of my business project and I told him i already owned One and i just needed loan of 200,000.00 USD he gave me form to fill and I did also he asked me of my Valid ID in few days They did the transfer and my loan was granted. I really want to appreciate there effort also try to get this to anyone looking for business loan or other financial issues to Contact Le_Meridian Funding Service On Email: lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.com He also available on WhatsApp Contact:+1-9893943740.

    ReplyDelete
  10. DEAR APPLICANT,

    We offer Affordable loan at 3% interest rate available for local and international borrowers. We are certified,trustworthy, reliable, efficient, Fast and dynamic and a co-operate financier for real estate and any kinds of business financing,we offer the following:* Personal Loans * Student Loan * Business Loans * Consolidation Loan * Combination Loan* *Home Enhancement* Car Loan *Construction Loan e.t.c

    We are Christian organization founded, people in needs of assistance helps, such as financial help. So, if you go through financial difficulties or you are in any financial mess, and you need funds, to start you need your own business, or you need a loan to pay off your debts or pay your bills, start a nice business, or you will find it difficult, to obtain capital loan from local banks, for the Bible says , "" Anyone who asks, receives Luke 11.10, and who seeks, finds, and who knocks on the door, the door will be opened ", so do not miss this chance, because Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and forever more. Please this is for serious minded and God-fearing people.

    Fill the application form below for further information.

    Full Name:___________
    Sex:________
    Age:______
    Country:__________
    Address___________
    State: ________
    Tel:______
    Occupation: __________
    Monthly Income:___________
    Loan Amount Needed ($) :__________
    Amount in Words:
    Loan Duration:__________
    Pan Card or Voters Id No:__________

    We await your responds

    Regards
    Trust Bridge Financial Service
    E_mail: trustbridgefinancialservice943@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete