Thursday, December 16, 2010

Another Step by Step (Frame 2)

I'll need to keep this one quick. The piece started 1 3/16 wide. 

From the top right corner
Red Rabbet: 16/64 w x 16/64 h
Greed: 8/64 w x 24/64 h

From the to left corner
(again, you'll need a sash fillister, straight grain, a table saw, etc)
Purple: 16/64 w x 16/64 h

Rabbet for chamfers followed by #2 hollow


Rabbet for chamfers followed by #6 hollow


#10 hollow to make ovular shape

Rabbet followed by #4 hollow

Like I said yesterday, frame profiles often look pretty strange. They come together once mitered.

The Results





For the record, I spent 20:10 with the profiled planes, much of which is battling Big Pink. I have it on videotape but couldn't bring myself to post it.

I'll fix my longer sticking board soon and get something more substantial up here.

4 comments:

  1. These instructions are FABULOUS Matt!

    Knowing it probably takes a lot longer to make the drawings than to actually do the work, I really appreciate the effort.

    You're blowing the fog away from what I once thought a complex process. Thanks for showing the way!

    Now, we need more, more, more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well.... I have to admit there's still a bit of fog left. Why do you mention needing a sash fillister for the top left rabbet? In the previous post, I thought you mentioned that because of the width of the rabbet, being much wider than the one on the right. But, here they are both the same size. What am I missing? (other than a good set of planes, and your actual experience)

    As before, THANKS for these lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob,

    Keep reading and I'll keep writing.

    A sash fillister references the near side of the stock and cuts a rabbet on the other side. This allows you to work in the same direction. Since these planes don't travel well against the grain your goal needs to be to work with it. A sash fillister will allow you to cut that rabbet.

    The few passes with the profiled planes can be taken 'left handed' traveling in the opposite direction, or first with the stock on its side, or, if the grain is straight, flipping it around and working normally.

    I use a 7/8" rabbet, I don't really ever work larger than that. It's substantial. I haven't looked, but I don't think I've even cut a 1/2" rabbet in these demos. Starting with the small ones and working in allows this.

    ReplyDelete