Thursday, April 12, 2012

I Have a Confession to Make

I cut the mouth for this plane on my table saw with a thin kerf blade.


It is 1 1/2" wide skewed rabbet bedded at 45 degrees.



I recently saw a thread on some woodworking forum regarding iron skew angles versus, due to complex angles, the angle at which the teeth of a float should be sharpened.

The float I use for the bed of the plane is skewed at 10(ish) degrees. For the front I use a float at a light 12. This resulted in a bed angle of a heavy 15 degrees, with 15 being the original goal.

3 comments:

  1. Jeeze, what next... are you going to outsource these to Foxconn?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, are you suggesting you custom made floats with these skew angles or that you sharpened the floats at a different angle? I am a bit confused.... Here I thought rabbets (the non-skewed) kind looked easier to make than H&R's ...a number of your post suggest otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phil,
    the angle I referred to is the angle the teeth are relative to the side of the (edge) float.

    I think the mortise is much harder for a rabbet plane than a side escapement. A rabbet's mortise is visible on all sides at the top and bottom while the side escapement plane is only visible on one side at the bottom of the ramp. It's likely easier to make the sole and sharpen a rabbet.

    ReplyDelete