Monday, February 6, 2012

Central Shell and Acanthus Leaves

Jim,
Here are a couple pictures of the shell as your requested. There is still work to be done on the acanthus leaves on the drawer.


Everything looks good with them until I see these pictures.

I am done carving the shell.

It should be said that Chuck Bender of The Acanthus Workshop and NoBSWoodworking helped me learn how to carve acanthus leaves a few years ago. I traded carving lessons for moulding planes and yada, yada, yada, here I am. He's a phenomenal teacher with a portfolio that is second to none.

If the carving is poor then please disregard the fact that I just referenced Chuck a half dozen time.

I am really happy with it.

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous work Matt!

    As a beginning carver, I'm starting to understand the quandary of "when is it done?" I think you're right about the shell. It's done, beautiful, and you really ought to be happy.

    Also, as a beginner with hollows and rounds, I must thank you for the how-to postings you made some time ago. They are very helpful. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe and jealous as well. I just finished Chuck's Fundamentals carving course and enjoyed it very much. I came home and have started to practice but it takes a lot of effort and practice to achieve what you have in these photos.

    Keep it up and I look forward to seeing the final piece. The shell is awesome.

    Jim Marsh

    ReplyDelete