Thursday, July 12, 2012

Lie-Nielsen Summer Open House

The wood is milled. The planes are packed. The company sign has been located. My family and I will be headed to the Lie-Nielsen Open House in about an hour.

If you have the opportunity to swing by Warren, ME on your way to the grocery store or back from Home Depot you should.

Chris Schwarz and Lost Art Press will be present with their good humor, great demos and various offerings. Included at his bench will be, I believe, a print out of my new book "Mouldings in Practice," which is at the printer. I think the opportunity to preorder the book is imminent. I will let him announce the specifics regarding dimensions, price, page numbers and special inclusions. I am excited.

Peter Follansbee will also be demonstrating. If you've never had the opportunity to spend a few minutes with him, take this one (or another). You will learn; you will be entertained. You may even get him to sign a copy of his book "Make a Joint Stool from a Tree," also published by Lost Art Press.

The list of other demonstrators and presenters is long. It is also quite different from last year.

The best part of the weekend is being able to use any of their tools (and others) at one of several benches that are set up. Use them by yourself or use them while receiving expert instruction. After that, go see how they are made. You'll be impressed.

Many woodworkers use the opportunity to compare bevel down planes to their bevel up counterparts. Hold a #4 vs. a #3, bronze vs. iron, 55 degrees vs. 50 vs. 45. It's awesome.

I have three plans: I'll have to talk myself out of getting the 10 1/4 for the 10th time. I'll be able to pick Chuck Bender's brain for free. Lobster Dinner.



3 comments:

  1. Have fun! Wish I could make it this year.
    If are having trouble resisting the siren call of the 10-1/4, just buy a no 51. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear the book is about to be issued. Will look for the announcement.

    The legs look good, is this another new project?

    JUST BUY THE 10 1/4

    JIM MARSH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt,
    I just preordered your book at LAP, can't wait to read it.
    I have been enjoying your planes every chance I get.
    Congratulations on your success.
    Take care,
    Pat D.

    ReplyDelete